If only they could talk! There are several signs that you can look for in your animal, which might indicate that they are uncomfortable or physically struggling:
- Behavioural changes, such as napping, bucking and rearing in horses, or growling or reluctance to perform normal tasks in dogs.
- History of poorly fitting tack
- Less than ideal conformation such as a long back
- Has suffered from an accident, injury or fall
- Poor performance
- Increased heart or respiration rate
- Unusual sweating or panting
- Loss of condition
- Loss of appetite
More information on signs that your animal might need a treatment, and causes of problems can be found here for horses and here for dogs.